Friday 3 February 2012

Two delicious tidbits of food news

If you're anything like me, you're a busy bee and rarely home in time to watch some of the great talk shows on in the late afternoon. However, one show I often PVR is "The Dr. Oz Show". Mostly because I'm interested in living, and learning tips about, a healthy lifestyle. I find he gives practical information that is easy to understand and easy to follow. And, he doesn't beat around the bush! He simply tells it like it is.

Anyways, this past Tuesday, in a show entitled "99 Diet Foods Dr. Oz Wants in Your Shopping Cart", Dr. Oz endorsed certain pre-packaged "diet friendly" and healthy foods. Lots of great products shown here, and even more on the printable shopping list: http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/dr-ozs-99-diet-foods

There were two "food revelations" (if you will) that really stood out as WINNERS to me. Here they are:


Vitalicious Deep And Velvety Chocolate Brownies



I must say, these looked fantastic on TV! Dr. Oz also said that they received RAVE reviews from his entire staff. These puppies are only 100 calories a piece. They are made with whole wheat flour, and are packed with vitamins. In fact, Dr. Oz said, as a doctor, he would almost RECOMMEND that we eat them. Really?! Chocolate brownies? Doctor recommended? Diet friendly? Need I say more?

Where do I get them? http://www.vitalicious.com/ , Price Chopper, Hannaford's Walmart (USA)
How much? Online, they are $22.65 for 16 brownies.


Tofu Shirataki Noodles




Ok....where have these been all my life? Why am I JUST finding out about these little miracles? I have a feeling there will be lasting love between myself and these noodles.

Hungry Girl, Lisa Lillien (http://www.hungry-girl.com/) introduced these noodles toward the end of the show. Tofu Shirataki Noodles are made from the root of a plant (Amorphophallus Konjac ) and were originally developed in Asia. They are made almost entirely of a type of fibre called glucomannan, which can help control blood sugars. They are almost totally free of bad carbohydrates. Hungry Girl whipped up a shrimp fettuccini alfredo dish, using these noodles, that came to just over 200 calories! Now thats amazing.

Where do I get them? Asian Grocery Stores, Safeway
How much? It varies, but usually around $2.00


No comments:

Post a Comment